Kitty Hawk and The Curse Of The Yukon Gold by Iain Reading

18:15:00

I was contacted through email earlier this year and was asked to possibly review, Kitty Hawk and The Curse of The Yukon Gold by Iain Reading. Of course, I jump at any opportunity to read new books, so I graciously accepted.

Recently, I have finished reading this book, and I would love to share with you, my honest opinion. I would also like to insinuate that although I was asked to review this, I am still going to be truthful, and say how I really feel about this book!



The Blurb
After leaving the Canadian fishing village of Tofino, which she calls home, in order to spend the summer in Alaska studying humpback whales, Kitty finds herself caught up in an adventure involving stolen gold, devious criminals, bone-chilling curses and haunting shipwrecks. 

Kitty's adventure begins with the  mystery of a sunken ship called the Clara Nevada. As the plot continues to unfold, this  story will have armchair explorers and amateur detectives alike, anxiously following every twist and turn as they are swept along. Through the history of the Klondike Gold Rush, there is a final climatic chase across the  terrain of Canada's Yukon, the harsh land made famous in the stories and poems. It is a riveting tale that brings to glorious life the landscape and history of Alaska's inside passage and Canada's Yukon, as Kitty is caught up in an epic mystery set against the backdrop of the scenery of the Klondike Gold Rush.

My Thoughts



Honestly, when I first began to read this book, my mind was filled with all the reasons why this book wasn't for me. I am not used to reading action/adventure novels, especially those types of books that are also linked to historical events. So, I was beginning to wonder whether it was worth reading.
However, a couple  of chapters in, once the character's have been introduced and the adventure begins, I couldn't help but become fully engrossed in the story.

Now, there is no point in lying - there were minuscule sections of the book that were a bit long-winded, however all in all, the story was fast-paced, and definitely action-packed.
The characters in this novel were so easy to connect to. Kitty Hawk, the protagonist, is this strong female that I could instantly relate to, and she could definitely be a role model for young girls, because if Kitty taught me anything - it's these things: your dreams can become a reality, as long as you believe in them and, anything a boy can do, a girl can do better. Kitty doesn't let people try and bring her down, and if an obstacle stands in her way, instead of running and hiding, she stands up and fights for what she wants. Her passion for flying, travelling, and researching whales, is beautifully illustrated by the author Iain, and I really love that she lives out her passions. That is something I can really connect to, as well as dream of, because I want to grow up and have the opportunity to continue being passionate about something. Also, Charlie is one of my many book crushes - I always love those characters that start off as villains, but are actually so perfect that I can't help but adore!!!

When reading the blurb of this book, you may think the story is very unrealistic. However, this actually isn't the case. Yes, stories about hidden gold and wild chases through Canada seem far from the truth, Iain writes in the way that makes you believe the story is real. Even Kitty's characteristics help bring the story closer to home. She is constantly talking to the little voice in her head, which is obviously her conscience, and those funny arguments between the two of them, turns the story into a reality. Also, the fact that Iain has used historical events, real places and photographs assists in painting a picture that a reader will believe. 

The Yukon Gold Rush was something that I had never learnt about, or really heard of, as it isn't exactly the topic of discussion in Australia, so it was quite interesting to learn as I read. This book is perfect for young children, as it not only sparks your imagination, but you also gain more knowledge about history as you read.
I had my doubts, because I had never come across this book and this author before, however, Kitty Hawk And The Curse Of The Yukon Gold was a book that kept me on the edge of my seat.


Sooooooooo,

What do you guys think of this review?
Would you read this book?
Leave your thoughts in the comments below!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Here:

The owner of this blog is not compensated to give their opinion on the literature, websites, and/or various other topics that are reviewed. The views that are expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. The owner of this blog does not own any of the pictures posted on here, unless stated otherwise.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *